Randomness

My life, the people in it and any other shit I decide to throw at you.

Tuesday 19 February 2008

Being Human

I have been looking forward to seeing this BBC3 'pilot' for some time, so you can imagine my horror sat on the loo last night, reading about it, to find it had literally just finished.
Luckily, we live in this wonderous age of technology, so I managed to to catch it on my lunch break on the BBC Iplayer.
And thank Dame Billie Piper I did! It was fantastic!
The premise is that a Vampire and a Werewolf are mates and decide to get a flat together. Cue lots of scenes of the not entirely unattractive Russell Tovey (George the werewolf) butt nekkid. Via a delightful scene with a bit of an old fashioned estate agent mistaking them for a gay couple, they move in. And then weird shit starts to happen. A defrosted chicken nails itself to a cupboard, things move .... because they happen to have picked a flat that has a resident ghost. To fill out the pilot we have a plotline about George's last serious girlfriend, who thought he was dead after he got bitten (as it seems do all of his family), demanding answers and a seemingly Blade-esque vampire 'underworld' (yes, reference intentional) that threatens to take over the human world - of which, I would guess, the bulk of a series proper would develop.
The writing from Toby Whitehouse is natural, amusing and almost comforting - during the setting up of the flat I continually found myself watching George, thinking "oh shit - that's me". The performances are very strong indeed. Having been impressed with Russell in Voyage of the Damned as Midshipman Alonzo Frame, I shall certainly be seeking out further works of his from here.
Summing up - if you made overlapping circles of Friends, This Life, Blade and Underworld, this would be the bit you coloured in in the middle... but with a colour all its own.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 3:07 pm, Blogger Nabu San said…

    Only caught the last five minutes of it, but it looked awesome from the trailers and what little I saw of the actual episode!

     
  • At 7:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was an excellent show and I am looking forward to the series. Have seen Russell Tovey in a number of things...he is a very good actor and is such a hottie!!! (and gay too!)

    AJ

     
  • At 6:52 pm, Blogger Nabu San said…

    He's gay?! Yaay, another recruit toward the cause! And finally caught a repeat of it on BBC3. T'was BRILLIANT. Got a pleasant overload of Tovey's buttcheeks, and I want MORE. Hope it becomes a fully-fledged series.

     
  • At 2:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Still have the episode on my Sky+...will be making a copy of it for certain, just hope I don't wear out the pause button. :)

    AJ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home