Randomness

My life, the people in it and any other shit I decide to throw at you.

Thursday 3 July 2008

To Boldly Not Go

News has reached me today that the Star Trek Experience in Vegas is to close on September 1st.
Fucking gutted.
This was to be part of our holiday to the USA in 2010. Some time in Florida to do Harry Potter world, which should be open at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure by then ... and then take a few days to fly across to Vegas, specifically to do the STE. There's nothing else about Vegas that appeals to me, so now, chances are I will never go. Which is fine, because now I don't want to. So not sure where I was going with that.
Having a bit of a shit week all round and this is just one more kick in the nut sack.

I was lucky enough to catch the Star Trek Adventure back in 2003 in London, so guess its not all bad.
It was basically a large tent in Hyde Park, full of props and costumes. Then the final bit before you went out through the gift shop, because there is always a gift shop, (I fully expect that when I die, there will be a gift shop where I can buy tea towels and mugs to commemorate life, to take to wherever I go next. Perhaps there are two shops. 1 if you are going to heaven and one if you are going to hell. In which case, id need earplugs for heaven as the constant singing about god and wotnot will get right up my nose. If its hell, I'll need a Clone Zone before I get there. But I digress), So anyway, best bit was the trip through the NCC 1701-D. I have loads of pics at home. Will have to put some on here. The jist was you start in engineering and there is a problem. You get shipped into a very large turbolift (it held about 40 people .... so very out of scale with the tv show) and up to the bridge, where a full scale battle is going on on the viewscreen. Sadly, they didn't budget for paying actors to fill the roles on the bridge, so its just you lot and maybe a guide standing in uniform doing nothing, while the audio plays out. But good fun all the same.

Today's silver lining is this however. Min has got an OBE! How marvellous. I do find it worrying that she is planning on singing on stage until the age of 60. That's twenty tears away. Do I have to stay for the whole gig, or can I just dip in and out between now and 2028? I am assuming they will bring a screen on for her to wash and poo behind.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're gonna hate me, but we're off to Vegas in August and we'd sort of talked about doing the STE. Suppose I'll have to now - the main down point was that we'd read somewhere there was a ST Con in town at the same time and I really don't think I could take American Trekkies in their own element...

    John, Letchworth

     
  • At 12:29 pm, Blogger Nabu San said…

    You're gonna hate me even more :D I'll be in possession of a rare CD signed by Kylie soon :D

     
  • At 3:20 pm, Blogger Peter Pan said…

    I cherish you both but will secretly be plotting your downfalls

     
  • At 4:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's a queue - take your place...

    John

     
  • At 10:21 pm, Blogger Nabu San said…

    Lol, I'm pretty much plotting my own downfall with the amount I'm spending on the ruddy CD :d

     

Post a Comment

<< Home