Randomness

My life, the people in it and any other shit I decide to throw at you.

Monday 7 July 2008

Journeys End

Ok, lets pretend last week never happened, ok? I had a shit week from about four different directions, but as is motto for my family, Keep Moving Forward*
So .. Journeys End then?
I am a tad torn. At the time, I was wrapped ... but then I thought about it ... and am now not as impressed as I was. I still enjoyed it, don't get me wrong ... but running it around in my head yesterday on my 9 hour shift at Showcase, I managed to talk myself out of loving it.
You see, the first half is already a blur .... I'm not even entirely sure what happened to resolve the story. Something to do with the TARDIS having to power down (I let out a small amount of squee seeing the TARDIS totally powered down ... in the state it was in the day I walked upon it. Kind of made that moment more real for me), some gubbins about Captain Jack, a furnace and some clothes that can obviously stand very high temperatures. I know I got a bit panicky over Jackie Tyler nearly getting turned to dust, with an actress who looked dead like Gita from Eastenders, the duplicate Doctor and all the bollocks about Donna ..... and a massively wasted opportunity with the true nature of the Doctor. The companions didn't seem to jump to his moral defence, did they? I dunno ... lovely moment, not quite realised.
Then I am quite clear from here on ..... Davros, defeated but not destroyed - because you know he will be back. That lovely shot of all of them running into the TARDIS and flying it as its meant to be flown ... my first thought was that actually I can pretty much recreate that scene with my toys..... since Jackie & Donna weren't flying anything! The goodbyes ... and then the bit I loved the most .... the everlasting death for the faithful companion.
Yes, there is a corner of my mind hurrumphing at us being cheated from a promised death again ... but the fact Donna lives, having lost everything she became, is far more painful ... and yes, I bawled. Such venom from Sylvia kicking the Doctor out .... ingrate!
So yes, I did enjoy very much ..... but do think it was not what it could or should have been.
Never mind. Cybermen at Christmas.

So now ..... join me in my own TARDIS for a while ..... Remember this? That was the scenes of Donna being dropped home!
And just how much of this did I get right?
Missing Bees: check!
Lost planets: Check!
Shadow Proclamation: Check!
Rose: Half check ... seems it was our Rose but her reality was ahead of ours....
I then went on to say that the Doctor and Donna being mistaken for a couple was going somewhere: BIG CHECK! And people laughed at me saying it was just a running gag. HA!

So, bottom line, I rock. Oh yes, I totally fucking rock and you know it.



*points for anyone who gets this reference

5 Comments:

  • At 3:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, big, preposterous but fun - RTD's scripts always win out with heart over head and this was no exception. But give Bernard Cribbens a knighthood now! Being made of stern stuff, I never blub at the telly, but his final speech got me damn close. Magnificent.

    John, Letchworth

     
  • At 8:55 pm, Blogger Nabu San said…

    I turned into a Wilf/Doctor shipper thanks to that speech :D

     
  • At 7:50 am, Blogger Mark said…

    It WAS Gita from Eastenders....

    I pissed myself!!!

     
  • At 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Got to say as well, thematically it showed RTD's somewhat black view of humanity again. Following on from 'Midnight', we get the notion that individuals are capable of good but humanity is a bad thing, warlike and vicious. Doctor Blue commits genocide, after all, as soon as he's tainted by humanity, and the weaponisation of the companions shows that even the truest of souls resort to violence.
    Do I think about this stuff too much?

    John, Letchworth

     
  • At 2:29 pm, Blogger Peter Pan said…

    No John, I think you are right there.... its almost as if RTD is trying to put the Doctor off his love affair with the human race!

    And it was Gita? Oh my days!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home